Simply Saucy Bacon-Wrapped Pork Loin
- TOTAL PREP TIME110 minutes
- DIFFICULTY Hard
- 4 pound pork loin center roast boneless, (untied), fat and silver skin trimmed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 to 9 slices bacon
- 1 cup barbecue sauce purchased
- Calories: 370 calories
- Protein: 43 grams
- Fat: 17 grams
- Sodium: 790 milligrams
- Cholesterol: 140 milligrams
- Saturated Fat: 5 grams
- Carbohydrates: 9 grams
- Fiber: 0 grams
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and brown on all sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer to plate and cool for 10 minutes.
- Wrap bacon slices vertically around pork roast; do not overlap bacon. Tie lengthwise and crosswise with kitchen string to hold bacon in place; tuck loose ends of bacon under string. Place on a rack in a roasting pan, tucked-bacon side down.
- Roast on rack for 15 minutes. Turn pork over and reduce temperature to 350ºF and roast for 15 minutes. Remove rack and return pork to pan, tucked-end side up. Roast, turning occasionally until bacon is browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the roast reads 145ºF, about 50 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Skim fat from pan juices, leaving browned juices in pan.
- Add barbecue sauce and preferred ingredient (*see below) and bring to simmer over medium heat, stirring to loosen browned bits in pan; simmer 2 minutes.
- Remove strings, carve pork, and serve with sauce. <div< div="">
Serves 10 6-oz portions
• Savory: Whisk 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard into the sauce.
• Spicy: Stir in 2 tablespoons pickled jalapenos chilies (nacho slices), drained and finely chopped, into the sauce.
• Fruity: Stir one 8.25-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained, into the sauce.
• Smoky: Stir in 1 or 2 minced canned chipotle chilies in adobo into the sauce.